Thursday, October 2, 2008

Settling In

I've been in Oxford for a grand total of 3 days, and am finally feeling pretty settled. My flight from O'Hare to Heathrow was 1/2 full, and arrived over an hour early. This is apparently typical of the flight, so remember: Virgin flight 40 from O'Hare. Plus, the service was excellent. To wit: free wine with dinner!

It was a long first day, mostly because I had two very heavy bags and two heavy carry-ons that I lugged around the city, and had to walk 30 minutes north to get the key to my room. Thankfully, the incredibly wonderful Megan (a friend from IWU) helped me every step of the way (in some cases literally)--even though she had Latin class! In case I don't say it enough, I have fantastic friends.

Tuesday through today have been a flurry of shopping, orientating, and making friends. Green is a beautiful college and everyone in it is incredibly friendly. The bar opened last night, so I got to meet a lot of freshers, or new students, who are currently in town.

The best thing at the moment is my location. I don't think I could've picked a better one if I tried. I'm living in University housing on Wellington Square. The building was clearly built in the 60s and the room is not so great, but the location is to die for. I'm literally a 5 minute walk from Megan and Annie (Megan's friend, who is now mine). I'm also a 5 minute walk from Green, and about a 7 minute walk to the city center. What's better is that within a few meters of my apartment are some of the best restaurants, bars, and ice cream in Oxford. This could get dangerous...

I have 3 more days until I officially begin my course on Monday. I'll post more then...

1 comment:

Raleigh said...

good to see this, and I'm glad you're doing well.

I'll be keeping up with the blog. I hope you've invited other 05 catzers. :-)

Get a COOKIE!

Raleigh